|Bang & Olufsen Museum|
Struer Museum is situated in ‘Torngaard’, the oldest building in this Danish town. Torngaard is the name of the old farm which has housed the town’s museum in Søndergade since 1930.
Just at the side of Struer’s old museum has been constructed a separate Bang & Olufsen extension carried out by the architect MT Højgaard. Although MT Højgaard is a relatively new company, founded in 2001, its parentage stretches back to the early 1900s when Højgaard & Schultz and Monberg & Thorsen were founded. The two companies have since been involved in virtually every major construction project in Denmark and numerous projects abroad.
This new museum extension - which opened on 25 May 2008 - features products together with glimpses into Bang & Olufsen’s history from its very beginning in 1925 right up until today.
“We are proud to announce the opening of the Bang & Olufsen Museum right here where everything started more than 80 years ago” says Bang & Olufsen Vice-President Peter Thostrup. “Just like the company, the museum will be firmly rooted in the local community and its history, but at the same time have a strong international outlook.”
The 2320 m² project (involving 1000 square metres of underground exhibition space) is divided into two sections which are connected via an underground hallway. The building is shaped like a pyramid with two basement floors below ground. Features such as flooring glass plates between the floors, ceiling-height balconies and streams of natural daylight from the ridge lights enrich the atmosphere to this new, wooden building.
From the main entrance of the local museum, a passage leads directly to the top floor of the Bang & Olufsen Museum, where the pyramidal roof floods the exhibition space with overhead light. The windows of the glass roof can, however, be covered so that wall projections and flat screens can be used in the exhibition. In addition, special recesses in the walls help create an acoustically balanced exhibition space where past and present Bang & Olufsen products can be presented in their best way.
Exhibitions will be continually evolving through the use of multi-media and interactive technologies, putting the company history into perspective by recreating historical periods; from the first technological achievements in the 1920s to the beginning of the media revolution in the 1950s and right up to the present-day convergence of media. Highlighting a huge range of historical products and large parts of the current product portfolio, the museum will also feature wall and screen projections of archive footage as well as a host of historical collectables and memorabilia like pamphlets, posters, brochures, catalogues, pictures and films.
“We will aim to make all exhibitions as flexible and experiential as possible, and hope that in time some of the rotating exhibitions can be lent out to museums both in Denmark and outside the borders of the country” says Museum Director Torben Holm.
Both the permanent exhibition and temporary thematic exhibitions will draw from the more than 3000 products in the museum collection. Over 300 products will be on display at any one time, and the Bang & Olufsen Museum will present these in constantly evolving set-ups which will focus on interactive presentation and the active participation of visitors to the museum.
Further extensions have also been built onto parts of the existing museum complex including a new café.
The deep basements and the central location of the museum have been challenging tasks of the project, especially as this flat area of Jutland is prone to flooding. The project’s budget was around 5 million euros and was completed on time. Half of the necessary money was donated to the museum by the fund of Bang & Olufsen co-founder Peter Bang and his wife Kirsten Bang.
Struer Museum, Søndergade 23
7600 Struer, Denmark
Telephone: 9785 1311